I. Word and Phrase Translation (20 points, 1 point each)
A. Translate the following words and phrases into Chinese. Write your translation on the Answer Sheet.
1. blood type
2. flagship store
3. start-up costs
4. athletic disciplines
5. electronic tickets
6. strategic thinker
7. Saudi Arabia
8. wholemeal bread
9. fair race
10. expert panel
B. Translate the following words and phrases into Engish. Write your translation on the Answer Sheet.
II. Translation Revision (20 points, 2 points each)
A. Correct or improve the translation of the following English sentences. Write your revised versions on the Answer Sheet.
原文: Adelaide enjoys a Mediterranean climate.
21.原文: You have to search to find London's true delights.
22.原文: The year 1876 saw the invention of telephone by Alexander Bell.
译文: 1876 年见证了亚历山大.贝尔发明了电话.
23.原文: As never before in their long history, universities have become instruments of national competition as well as instruments of peace.
24.原文: The Internet was buzzing this summer with some people sharing videos of themselves accepting the Ice Bucket Challenge.
25.原文: Nearly half of the world's heritage sites could lose their glaciers by 2100 if greenhouse emissions continue at the current rate.
B. Correct or improve the translation of the following Chinese sentences. Write your revised versions on the Answer Sheet.
译文: To write a preface to this collection of his essays gives me a great honor.
改译: I find it a great honor to write a preface to this collection of his essays.
译文: Without typhoon, the heat in the equatorial area shouldn't be dispelled.
译文: He heard the news, jumped up with joy, snatched a pen and 2 piece of paper, wrote his parents a message that he would go to see his good friend.
译文: Today, as continuous improvement of the ecological environment, more and more species of birds dwell in Beijing.
译文: Both fear and faith will be with us every minute of every day, but the emotion that we continually act upon, that is, the one we feed, dominates our lives.
译文: Such heavy losses of revenue have resulted from the rapid wealth accumulation of some people on the one hand, and the inability of the state to implement a redistribution of wealth on the other.
III. Sentence Translation (20 points, 2 points each)
A. Translate the following underlined sentences into Chinese. Write your translation on the Answer Sheet.
31. To meet the power demands of modern devices, researchers have been looking for materials that can store more and more electricity. That's where. the use of industrial glass comes, in. Industrial glass is stronger and more durable than the glass in household windowpanes and mirrors, and it's more resistant to repeated chemical reactions.
32. Pub etiquette is designed to promote. sociability in a society known for its reserve Standing at the bar for service allows you to chat with others waiting to be served. The bar counter is possibly the only site in the British Isles in which friendly conversation with strangers is considered entirely appropriate and really quite normal behavior.
33. As we need plain wholesome food for the body. so we must have serious reading for the mind. And here we can choose according to our taste. There are many noble books on history, biography, philosophy and science which we ought to read, and which will give us not only pleasure but an education.
34. Society could not exist if we were all unflinchingly (不折不扣地) honest. We say we're not upset when we are. We tell people they don't look fat when they do. That's fine because all of these lies are kinder than the truth, and there's nothing wrong with a little kindness.
35. Studies have shown that the more time a person spends in education when young, the lower the risk for dementia (痴呆) later on. But whether. or not it's the education itself-and_ perhaps_ the_ associated higher socioeconomic status and healthier lifestyles- that affords this protection remained a mystery.
B. Translate the following underlined sentences into English. Write your translation on the Answer Sheet.
IV. Passage Translation (40 points, 20 points each)
A. Translate the following passage into Chinese. Write your translation on the Answer Sheet.
41.Much is right in the world, but also much is wrong. This book is mostly concermed with what is wrong. It is not a book of criticism and condemnation. It is one of explanation, optimism and hope. It promotes the doctrine that we, as individuals, can save our world.
Little is wrong in the world except what is caused by people's intentional or unintentional misdeeds. True, there are occasional earthquakes, floods, windstorms or famine. But the seasons go along in reasonably orderly sccession, and the vegetation renews itself each year without fail. That has been true in the past, and although the pattem may change at any time, it will presumably be true in the future. So it is clear that nature is not the culprit (罪魁祸首). Most of everyone's sffering is caused by people. There is no use dodging that basic fact.
B. Translate the following passage into English. Write your translation on the Answer Sheet.